Thursday, August 13, 2009

A life less ordinary

Life is all about experiences of different kinds which make it so happening and meaningful..Every ordinary one has some great incidences which are very special for him/her and make once life special for self :)!! On the eve of Independence Day, I remember such an incidence which is very special for myself...

I belong to a small city-Miraj..My school, Jubilee Kanya Shala, might not be among the best known schools in the country, but it is definitely one of the most prestigious and very well cultured schools.. It has many traditions which sets itself apart from other schools. I am so glad that I am the alumna of this great school and it gave me such a nice opportunity to experience precious moment..

Usually some famous chief guests are called up on 15th August and 26th January Flag hoisting ceremony. But in our school, where students were the treasured, had different arrangements. On 15th August, the youngest girl in the school, usually fresher in standard 5th had the chance, had the honour to hoist the flag. And on 26th Jan, the student securing first rank in half yearly exam had the chance. I was always fascinated by this idea and wanted to be the part of it. And my only chance was in 10th half yearly exams J!! And I am very glad that I could make upto it :)..the day when half yearly exam results were declared, the first thing that came to my mind was--man, I am gonna hoist the flag on 26th Jan..woww!!!

The day arrived.. I reached school with my parents.. This day I was the chief guest and stood along with the principal and all the teachers ..in front of all my friendsand other fellow students.. The ceremony began..On the rhythm of band, I moved towards the flag.. The NCC cadets guarding the flag saluted me and stood in attention.. I was thrilled and brought my hand forwards towards the string.. On the speaker announcement by our PT teacher, I pulled the string and our TIRANGA brandished and started riding on waves.. I saluted it with a complete pride.. I tried to record that moment and feelings in my brain..in the pindrop silence we began singing our national anthem.. “Jana gana mana adhinayak jay he bharat bhagyavidhata”... those 31 sec were magical.. a feeling of great responsibility filled my mind..It’s MY country..It’s MY duty to take care of it.. And I can do this even as an ordinary citizen.. Its not only restricted to our military, police force and the government.. Its ME, who’s accountable to all these.. I should contribute my share to serve our country, however small it may be.. that day, I realised what keeps all those mighty Men in uniform on duty whether it rains or shines.. I felt immensely proud of being INDIAN..Then was the turn to hoist the school flag..My school where I spent wonder years of my life.. I had attended flag hoisting ceremonies but never felt like this before!!!

In the speech, my class teacher, Kamble sir, mentioned a very peculiar observation..He said, “ In last few years, I have always noted that the student who gets this flag hoisting honour, couldn’t achieve first rank in Final Board exams. I know you have potential to do it ,and I want you to break this jinx.”..I could see the strong expectations in his eyes.. And when I stood first in my city in final board exams, he renounced it proudly at the results celebration at school on same stage..I felt very proud and humbled at the same time.. as I looked at the flag, I said to myself that “ I have done my bit towards my school..and I can't explain how exhilarating it feels!.. I should never miss a chance to fullfill my duty towards my country, in my whole lifetime..

This is my memorable flag hoisting which makes my life less ordinary :)!!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!
Felt simply great after reading it ...

Rucha said...

Good work...loved this one... :)
Had goose bumps while reading it and recalling the flag-hoisting ceremonies l have attended while in school… :)

Harshad Maral said...

Nice! :)

Dhanashree said...

thankuuuu guys :)!!!

pragyag said...

Wowwwwwww!!
Felt gr8 reading it, cannnot imagine how you would have really felt then..and now :)

Puneet Parakh said...

too good... one of your best post till date.. this sounds like the dialogue in movie Bluffmaster:
Tumhe aise kitne din yaad honge Roy, tumhari pehli salary, pehli car, pehli degree, pehli job......
Really out of 10000 days of my life I cant remember more than couple of dozens !!!

Straight from my kitchen said...

hey dhanu,i was not there but i could feel it..... its awesome!! your post gave me a chance to go back into my memoris..into those moments of togetherness!!! God bless you...

Jui said...

doLe paNavle...

keep writting!

Unknown said...

thanks u allllll.....now i had goosebumps after reading ur comments yaar !!

Ankit Agarwal said...

simple awesome! like puneet said....so far your best post! n yes i totally agree...it's OUR country, OUR nation, and WE have to do our bit towards its well being.

workhard said...

I m sure it makes you feel special.. This is a well written post


Work from home India