Thursday, September 17, 2020

Ajji- My S'hero'!!


Today is my grandma's birthday. well, on paper its 18th Sept. as she always said,"I dont remember birthdays by date but I remember it by Hindu calender tithis". She was born in navratri, hence the name-'Vijaya'.

She was the classic example of how grandmother is popular among the kids.. Because she used to play alot of games with us kids and let us win ;)!! She has taught and played card games with all the kids in family-from my older cousins till Shlok-Gatha!! Shlok used to run to her room as soon as we reached Miraj to play with her.
I used to go to her house on weekends after school. That was the best time of my childhood. playing lots of card games and listening to stories nonstop. Then on Sunday, I would spend all my time helping her to do chores. She had a cupboard which was like a treasure-chest.. full of novelty items like scented soaps, powders/creams, toys and loads of other special things. I would end up taking thing or two from that cupboard :). 
She was the lady well ahead of her time. She came from a small town-Tasgaon, came to Sangli for further education. She completed her BA and MA after getting married and having kids. Then she became school chairman, head of the ladies club, active member of Bridge club, Sanskrit teacher.. she wore many hats. She was a strong supporter of feminism. She taught my aunts to drive before they could cook. She taught us to rather make own identity. 
Even at ripe old age, she enjoyed her hobbies,food and lived to the fullest. She always said,"I have had a good life and I am very content". 
Aaji, you are a true inspiration and I will miss you always!!
You are my S'hero'!!

Love-
Dhanu

PS: I wrote this yesterday and got to know that she left us in the late evening. This post was supposed to be her birthday wishes post turned to tribute to her now.
x



No comments: